Individuals and Student Information
Essential Skills has a friendly culture and it’s a great place to study.
Call us for more info on (02) 4961 0016.
In this handbook you will find information about our policies and training and assessment procedures.
If you have questions about any aspect of your training, please call or email our office and we will assist you with your enquiry.
Visit the Smart and Skilled website for more information: https://smartandskilled.nsw.gov.au/
Essential Skills Training & Recruitment is approved to deliver the following qualifications under the smart and skilled program.
- CHC22015 Certificate II in Community Services
- HLT23215 Certificate II in Health Support Services
- CHC32015 Certificate III in Community Services
- CHC33015 Certificate III in Individual Support
- HLT33215 Certificate III in Health Support Services
- BSB40515 Certificate IV in Business Administration
- BSB42015 Certificate IV in Leadership and Management
- CHC41115 Certificate IV in Employment Services
- CHC42015 Certificate IV in Community Services
- CHC43015 Certificate IV in Ageing Support
- CHC43115 Certificate IV in Disability
- CHC43415 Certificate IV in Leisure and Health
- HLT43015 Certificate IV in Allied Health Assistance
- BSB51615 Diploma of Quality Auditing
- BSB51915 Diploma of Leadership and Management
- BSB61015 Advanced Diploma of Leadership and Management
- CHC52015 Diploma of Community Services
This training is subsidised by the NSW Government.
Smart and Skilled Information
- Check your eligibility
- What will the qualification cost?
- Student Handbook
- Create your Unique Student Identifier (USI)
- Recognition of Prior Learning & Credit Transfer Application
- Smart and Skilled Pre Enrolment Checklist
- Enrolment Form
- Information Consent Form
Smart and Skilled Course Information
For more information about course availability and funding eligibility for Smart and Skilled courses please contact;
(02) 4961 0016
Click on an industry below to discover potential career opportunities:
A Unique Student Identifier (USI) is a government issued reference number made up of numbers and letters. This gives students access to their USI account where they can see all of their training results from all providers including all completed training units and qualifications from the 1st January 2015.
The USI will make it easier for students to find and collate their VET achievements into a single authenticated transcript. It will also ensure that students’ VET records are not lost.
You can apply for a USI by going to www.usi.gov.au and following the prompts or you can ask Essential Skills Training and Recruitment (ESTR) to apply on your behalf. If you would like ESTR to apply on your behalf you will be required to complete the USI privacy statement and supply us with identification. Contact our office for a copy of the application form.
All students will be required to supply ESTR with their USI before their certificate or Statement of Attainment can be issued.
You should make your application for RPL on enrolment but you can apply at any time. If you would like to apply please request and RPL application from our office or download a copy below.
Recognition of Prior Learning can reduce the duration of the course and cost involved. This will be discussed with the student on a case by case basis.
If you have completed units that are similar or that have been superseded and are not recognised as equivalent then that evidence can be used toward Recognition of prior learning.
You will need to complete the application and submit a certified copy of the document for it to be processed. We ask that you apply for credit upon enrolment to ensure you do not complete the units again as part of your qualification.
You should make your application for credit on enrolment but you can apply at any time. If you would like to apply please request and Credit transfer application from our office or download a copy below.
The administration fee of $1,000 will be required on enrolment, if your total course cost is less than $1,000 then the full fee will be taken on enrolment. The remaining fees will be invoiced over 2 separate milestones throughout your training. ESTR cannot accept more than $1000 upfront from an individual student as part of our financial management policy to ensure fee protection for students.
Payment plans are available. This is to be discussed with Essential Skills Training and Recruitment on enrolment.
If the participant would like to pay their course fees off in weekly or fortnightly instalments so that the payments are smaller and more manageable, a direct debit payment plan will be arranged through a third party provider called Debitsuccess Pty Ltd (ABN 32 095 551 581). Debitsuccess is a wholly owned subsidiary of TSG Holdings (AUST) No.2 Pty Ltd ABN 89 608 821 281 and a related company of Transaction Services Holdings Limited ARBN 125 664 860 (‘TSHL’).
Through Debitsuccess, the course payments will be direct debited from a bank account or credit card according to the agreed frequency until all course fees are paid.
Please note, a $200 enrolment fee will be required upfront and there will be an additional cost of; a one off $12 administration fee and 4% of the course fee, these fees and other fees that may be charged by Debitsuccess are outlined in the table below.
|Administration||$12.00||Once only when Product is first established|
|Additional Fees||4% of the course fees||Fee is included in your weekly/fortnightly payment plan|
|Reversal||Up to $15||On the Dishonour of a payment|
$50 plus 25% of full outstanding balance.
For example, if your outstanding balance was $200, the Debt Cancellation Fee owing, in addition to the outstanding contract balance of $200, will be $100 (comprising $50 plus 25% of the remaining balance (i.e. 25% of $200).
|On cancellation of the product due to your failure to pay the required amounts under your customer/membership contract resulting in the referral of your account to Debt Collection.|
* This fee will only be charged if Debitsuccess provides Debt Collection Services to the business providing goods or services to you. If this is the case, the terms relating to Debt Collection Services set out in your customer/membership agreement will also apply.
Recovery of Outstanding Student Fees
Once an invoice is issued, you will receive automatic reminder emails from Xero (the accounting software Essential Skills Training and Recruitment uses for financial management) days 1, 7, 14 & 21 after the invoice is issued. If payment is not received within 21 days, the Essential Skills Training and Recruitment Finance Officer will contact you for payment. If payment is still not received after 90 days, it is passed on to the debt collection services to follow up.
- If a replacement textbook is required by any student, the student will be required to pay for the cost of the replacement book which is between $15 - $120 (depending on the qualification).
- If external support services are required this is the expense of the student/employer. E.g. Interpreter
- If a replacement Certificate or Statement of Attainment is required to be reproduced there will be $20 fee associated with this that must be paid before the certificate is released.
- If you are working in the community services sector and require a Working with Children’s check, this will be at your own expense. Approximately $80
If given formal notice of a withdrawal within 3 days of the commencement of training and receipt of materials. ESTR will refund fees paid in advance less
- the admin fee of $500 for full qualifications
- 20% of the total course fee for skills sets, single units or non-accredited training.
- Or the customer may choose for the money paid to be held in credit for future programs less the admin fee.
Under normal circumstances, no refunds will be given after the commencement of a program, unless the client can provide a medical certificate or show extreme hardship. In these cases fees will be refunded on a pro-rata basis or reduced to cover our costs for course materials, postage etc.
If a client is dissatisfied with a refund decision they can submit a formal complaint, which will be reviewed by the CEO. A reply in writing will be provided.
If a program is cancelled by us prior to commencement, all fees will be refunded in full. Post commencement, fees will be refunded on a pro-rata basis based on training delivered to date.
To apply for a refund please contact our office for a Refund Request Form or print off the form below;
Once a written complaint is received, the complaint will be reviewed by Essential skills management and you will be contacted to try to resolve the issue. If you are still unhappy it will be escalated to the CEO who will contact you to discuss further options for resolution.
The outcome shall be communicated in writing to the person making the complaint.
If you feel that no satisfactory solution has been reached, you can refer the complaint to an external body such as ASQA (Australian Skills Quality Authority).
Any fees associated with an external appeal will be at the complainant’s expense.
Resolution may be by any of the following:
- No further action;
- Written / verbal apology;
- Refund of any money paid;
- Provision of the same course at no cost;
- Provision of the same course with another provider at no cost.
If you are still not happy, you are entitled to lodge an Appeals form. This form will be emailed or posted to you on request or you can use the link below. The form needs to be received by us within 14 days of the initial notification of the assessment result.
Once a written appeal is received, the management team will work with you to try to resolve the issue. You will be issued a written response within 7 days of your appeal being received.
If you are still not satisfied it will be escalated to the CEO and another registered provider may be asked to arbitrate and reassess if necessary or you can lodge a complaint with ASQA (Australian Skills Quality Authority).
An appeal can be resolved by any of the following means:
- No further action;
- Reassessment by the original assessor
- Reassessment by another assessor.